Surprised by a small group of executive team members and nursing leaders during a recent shift in the emergency department, registered nurse Morgan Schirmer was named UR Medicine Thompson Hospital’s 2021 Nurse of the Year.
“Morgan is top notch and deserves recognition of her efforts this year in mentoring and precepting several new nurses,” said Vice President of Patient Care Services/CNO Hazel Robertshaw. “Her experience in critical care as well as her ability to teach prioritization are her strengths and these have shown this year.”
Two days prior, Schirmer — a Springwater resident — had been named a Thompson Nurse of Distinction in the Preceptor/Mentor category.
A team led by Robertshaw also surprised many of the following hospital nurses, by selecting them Nurses of Distinction. They are:
• Operating room RN Carla Eggleston, of Rochester, for collaboration
• Emergency department RN Chet Eldredge, of Bloomfield, for advocacy
• ICU Nurse Practitioner Jess Falk, of Canandaigua, for advanced practice provider
• Urgent care LPN Aurora Folts, of Hemlock, for rising star
• Floor 3 East RN Susan McCormack, of Geneva, for clinical judgment
• Radiology administration RN Jennifer Reho, of Canandaigua, for systems thinking
• Floor 3 West RN Kathy Trainor, of Canandaigua, for caring practices
• Emergency department RN Ken Trezise, of Lima, for facilitation of learning
In addition, Floor 3 West’s Darci Camacho, of Newark, was named the hospital’s Technician of Distinction for 2021.